[NatureNS] April 15 - Martinique Beach Provincial Park

Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 20:04:13 -0300
From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

We also took advantage of the beautiful day to do the Martinique Beach walk.
Apart from the Sanderling, the pair + a single Piping Plover and one Great
Blue Heron which Blake mentions below, there were also good numbers of sea
ducks still present, concentrated at the western end of the Beach.  There
were at least a dozen Long-tailed Ducks, half a dozen Black Scoters and a
few Common Eiders close to shore.  Further out there were many more scoters,
too far to ID, but all those that flew were White-winged.
We also spoke with several people with off-leash dogs; none had seen the
plovers.  Of course, most walkers with or without dogs concentrate on the
ocean side of the beach while the plovers were seen across the dunes on the
north side.
The only other birds of spring in evidence were small flocks of grackles, a
couple of robins and a kingfisher on the wires near Lawrencetown Beach.

There was a single Green-winged Teal and about a dozen scaup sp at Bissett
Lake.

Cheers,

Bob and Wendy McDonald