[NatureNS] Birds at Shag End, HRM

Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 08:49:41 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Christie <maryspt@nbnet.nb.ca>

At 2:53 PM -0300 4/12/07, Blake Maybank wrote:

>The biggest surprise was seeing two Turkey Vultures gently soaring
>south above the "spine" of Prospect Peninsula

To avoid being on the road during today's snow, Mary Majka and I
headed home from Halifax to New Brunswick last evening, Apr. 12. A
TURKEY VULTURE [Urubu à tête rouge] flew easterly across Highway 102
in front of us, about 3-4 km north of the Elmsdale service area
around 6:45 p.m.

We had spent much of Wednesday and Thursday exploring the Saint
Mary's River valley of Guysborough County with George Archibald. It's
a lovely area that was not well-known to us.  AMERICAN ROBINS [Merle
d'Amérique], SONG SPARROWS and DARK-EYED JUNCOS were widespread and
common but blackbirds were very scarce there. COMMON LOONS were
present on a few of the opening lakes.

During March, there was some discussion on NatureNS of the relative
scarcity of EVENING GROSBEAKS this winter. On Thursday morning, we
met Florence Duffy, at Waternish, I think. She reported having had a
large number of grosbeaks all winter (consuming >$100/month of
sunflower seeds). There were about 15 around her house when we
stopped.  While we were there, a NORTHERN GOSHAWK flew from the woods
and across the river.

Later in Halifax, Chris Majka alerted us to the easy-to-find,
snoozing NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL on Seymour Street. That would be the
bird highlight of our trip, but the landscape of Guysborough and
eastern Halifax counties (rivers, coast, lakes and forests), seen
under a deep blue sky, will remain more vivid in our memories.

David

--

David Christie
Mary's Point, Harvey, Albert Co., New Brunswick, Canada