[NatureNS] Sullivans Pond et al Meeting Apr.4

From: "David&Jane Schlosberg" <dschlosb-g@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 00:06:48 -0300

Being residents of the Sullivans Pond area,we made a special point of
attending the meeting. And we put it a strong word about trying to keep the
environs as natural as possible--especially with regard to destroying the
thickets in the Findlay Park area (between the lock and Hawthorne street).

There seemed to be a definite sense at the meeting of the ducks being a
source of dirtiness overall. We tried to emphasize that they're also a
source of delight both to adults and children. We hoped there could be some
compromise method by which a reduced number would remain and the park could
stay much cleaner. We made a suggestion whereby coin-slot grain dispensing
machines would be available for the public so that the birds would eat more
healthy foods and the amount would be somehow limited. But, of course,
still, how do you police the people with the bread crumbs? Do any of you on
the talk-list have any better suggestions?

There was a lot of interest for having a hiking path around the total
perimeter of Lake Banook.
There was  some concern that the lovely little wooded area to the north of
the spectator stands on Silver Hill (between the foot of Joffre St. and
Prince Albert road) was doomed to be cut down so that spectators in the
stands could have a better view of the races.

Yours truly
Dave&Jane Schlosberg