[NatureNS] Chickadee Nest Box

Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 20:10:39 -0300
From: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Jamie,

We have one nest box on the North-facing side of our garage, 9-10 ft.
up, and they use it most years.  It has a 1 1/4" entry hole.  We are
going to put our new box on the N.E. side of the house, about the same
height, but are aware that we may just be providing a choice for one
pair of Chickadees because they are too close together.  It would be
nice to have 2 pr., but they need about an acre of territory each.

The information we have been using comes from a pamphlet called "Nest
Boxes for Birds", published by the Canadian Wildlife Service in 1977.
According to it only the House Wren will use a 1" hole.  Chickadees,
Nuthatches & Downy Woodpeckers all need 1 1/4".  If you make the hole
much bigger than that, you will get House Sparrows (around here anyway).

The box needs to be at least 6' above the ground on a pole or tree near
shrubs.  We thought of putting it on our grape arbour over the deck too,
but we always get a raccoon in the spring, who loves to climb up it, so
thought better of that idea!  It needs to be safe from cats too.  The
pamphlet suggests installing a guard - an inverted cone of metal or
plastic (like a squirrel guard, I guess).  Takes a bit of thought.  Oh
yes, also it needs to be in a place where it won't get too hot, thus we
put them on the North side, and paint them a reflective colour.  And
away from the usual direction of rain.

Lois Codling