[NatureNS] Fw: Ipswich Savannah Sparrow and Ohers

Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 15:48:16 -0300
From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_nXxVMGsdiTB05U5gzWTT7A)

----- Original Message -----
From: Hans Toom
To: Ns-Rba@Yahoogroups.Com
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 3:47 PM
Subject: Ipswich Savannah Sparrow and Ohers

I was at the far eastern end of Martinique Beach this morning at sunrise, in search of Ipswich Savannah Sparrows.  I though I saw some at dawn's first gleaming but they turned out to be Horned Larks.  I photographed the sunrise and then proceeded back with the light at my back and soon started bumping into Ipswich Sparrows all over the place. Indeed, 11 of them were working the kelp heaps near the eastern end of the beach.  This bird seems to pile up in this area every year.  There were several other examples on the rest of the return walk.  This morning's low light and the shadow from the beach ridge forced me to image these birds at ISO 1600 and at low shutter speeds, all with a hand held camera.  The result is frosty, low resolution, low contrast photos.

I've posted a bunch of photos starting with the Ipswich Savannah Sparrow and followed by several others from home including Fox Sparrow.  You'll have come to the end of this series of photos when you see the sunrise at Martinique Beach from this morning.  Alas, no Piping Plovers were seen, but any day now.

Hans

http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/Highlight72.html

Hans Toom
E-mail: htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca
Migration Count: http://hanstoom.com/NAMC/Index.html
Nature Website: http://hanstoom.com

--Boundary_(ID_nXxVMGsdiTB05U5gzWTT7A)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----
<DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A
title=Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca href="mailto:Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">Hans Toom</A>
</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=ns-rba@yahoogroups.com
href="mailto:Ns-Rba@Yahoogroups.Com">Ns-Rba@Yahoogroups.Com</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Monday, April 02, 2007 3:47 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Ipswich Savannah Sparrow and Ohers</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I was at the far eastern end of Martinique Beach
this morning at sunrise, in search of Ipswich Savannah Sparrows.&nbsp; I though
I saw some at dawn's first gleaming but they turned out to be Horned
Larks.&nbsp; I photographed the sunrise and then proceeded back with the light
at my back and soon started bumping into Ipswich Sparrows all over the place.
Indeed, 11 of them were working the kelp heaps near the eastern end of the
beach.&nbsp; This bird seems to pile up in this area every year.&nbsp; There
were several other examples&nbsp;on the rest of the return walk.&nbsp; This
morning's low light and the shadow from the beach ridge forced me to image these
birds at ISO 1600 and at low shutter speeds, all with a hand held camera.&nbsp;
The result is frosty, low resolution, low contrast photos.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I've posted a bunch of photos starting with the
Ipswich Savannah Sparrow and followed by several others from home including Fox
Sparrow.&nbsp; You'll have&nbsp;come to the end of this series of photos when
you see the sunrise at Martinique Beach from this morning.&nbsp; Alas, no Piping
Plovers were seen, but any day now.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hans</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/Highlight72.html">http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/Highlight72.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial
Toom<BR>E-mail: <A
href="mailto:htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca</A><BR>Migration
Count: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com/NAMC/Index.html">http://hanstoom.com/NAMC/Index.html</A><BR>Nature
Website: http://hanstoom.com

--Boundary_(ID_nXxVMGsdiTB05U5gzWTT7A)--