[NatureNS] Dead Whale??

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 11:25:33 -0300

There was a carcass which looked like a small whale on the beach this
morning between Port George and Cottage Cove. It is far from fresh and has
attracted the biggest group of GBB Gulls I have seen in that area. There is
no head as such, it seems to have been torn off, and there are no fins or
flukes. Much of the tail has also been removed. What is left is maybe 4
metres long and quite a pink colour. There seems to be a deeply furrowed
throat in the manner of the finback whales but little else to identify it. I
presume that it has already been reported as an FAO truck was pulling up as
I left. There seems to be quite a bit of rope entangled in what is left of
the tail area. I photographed it, but it is not an elegant sight.

More normal observations:-
14 Red Breasted Mergansers
67 Common Eiders
11 Surf Scoters
10 White winged Scoters
6 Common Loons
3 Horned Grebes
5 Long tailed Ducks
6 Harlequin Ducks

At Margaretsville were another 21 Red Breasted Mergansers, 2 Common Loons
and 2 Eiders.
John Belbin - Kingston