[NatureNS] Fri: Canard Pond full of Canada Geese

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 21:41:28 -0300

Fri late afternoon - Wolfville area ponds : Mar 30 / 07:

Canard Pond   -   CANADA GEESE  ~1150   .. !

        Yes, that figure _is_ right!  Impressive too!  I have never seen so
many crammed into that pond. It was more or less a 'shoulder-to-shoulder'
gathering of geese.  Not much room for gulls!  (Most were 'roosting' in the
field behind the pond).

Also of note - N PINTAIL (two pairs), GADWALL (one),  GRN-W. TEAL (6 f/imm),
and RED-W. BLACKBIRDS calling.

D. U. Pond - Cornwallis River Crossing Rd (west end of New Minas):
          RING-N. DUCK (pr),  COMMON MERGANSERS (4 prs +2 f/imm).

Saxon St Pond, Sheffield Mills:

            KILLDEER (6), N. PINTAIL (pair), GRN.-W. TEAL (4 prs), MALLARD
(4 m 2f), BLACK DUCK (2)

(water level remains low).

On the farm field diagonally opposite Blueberry Acres (Sheffield Mills),
just north-east of the intersection of Middle Dyke Rd and Saxon St.,
sometimes excess ground water forms a little pond (not much more than a
great big 'puddle')  where gulls like to gather. There were two adult LSR.
BLACK-BACKED GULLS among about 60-70 gulls (mostly Herring) resting there.
Both LBBGs took off shortly before I left (I did not see which way they
headed) and did not return to the pond. However a few mins later heading
east, I passed another gathering of resting gulls in a different field, on
the opposite side of Saxon St, and there was an adult LBBG in the midst of
this flock.  As to whether this was one of the original LBBG's I had seen
earlier, I do not know.

Wed Mar 28:  We had our first PURPLE FINCH of the season at our feeder (not
seen since), and Killdeer arrived back on Wolfville Ridge, near our home.

Cheers
Judy

   Judy  Tufts

     Wolfville