[NatureNS] Ducks, Killdeer returning to Kings Co.

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 20:58:17 -0300

Tues afternoon  Mar 27 / 07:

New arrivals into Wolfville area.

New Minas Sewage Ponds:

COMMON GOLDENEYE - 6m 2f .    (No sign of the male Barrow's Goldeneye there
a few days ago);

GRN-W. TEAL - 4m 1f/imm;  COMMON MERGANSER - 3 f/imms;  plus ~30 other ducks
(Blacks and Mallards).

Two ICELAND GULLS are still there.

On the basis of ice-free conditions here I decided to check the D. U. pond
on the Cornwallis River Connector Rd at the west end of New Minas (between
Commercial St  and Belcher St) - all ice free now.  Found more new arrivals:

a pair of RING-BILLED DUCKS; and more COMMON MERGANSER : 11  this time -
all but one of the ducks appeared to be 'paired'.

This got me thinking of checking Saxon St Pond, Sheffield Mills .hoping
maybe to find some Killdeer.  Sure enough  there was not one but two
KILLDEER feeding side-by-side, with much soft 'purring' type notes coming
from one individual  which made me wonder if this was a 'pair'.

Also GRN-W. TEAL - 4 pairs and an extra f/imm; and a single pair of BLACK
DUCKS.

Great expanse of mud flats at this pond, little water at the far end, traces
of ice and snow still lingering around the edges.

Last stop:  White Rock, Gaspereau Valley, another pair of C. MERGANSERS.

A rather unusual sign of spring?   I noticed buds bursting on a Honeysuckle
vine in a very sheltered s.e. garden corner of a downtown Wolfville dental
office yesterday!

Cheers,

Judy Tufts

   Judy  Tufts