[NatureNS] Imitations

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 00:29:16 +0000

Hi Lois:

The best information I have come across in regards to starling immitation is
in Mozart's Starling.  The following link provides information from studies
into this aspect and answers your questions about the time involved in
learning different sound immitations.
http://www.starlingtalk.com/mozart1.htm
Also, a google of Mozart's Starling will provide other articles and info.

Sincerely,

James

>From: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
>To: Nature NS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
>Subject: [NatureNS] Imitations
>Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 19:41:50 -0300
>
>Speaking of Killdeer, James, I heard one about 3 wks. ago, but realized
>after awhile that the sound was coming from a Starling.  Today I heard a
>Comm. Yellowthroat while soaking up some of that lovely sunshine & warmth,
>but the source was the same.  So I'm wondering about Starling memories.
>How long can they remember a sound in order to duplicate it?  Have they
>recently heard a Killdeer and a Comm. Yellowthroat?  We've had Starlings
>around all winter, and I assume this was one of our year-round residents.
>Has it really remembered these bird calls over the winter?
>
>Lois Codling

Your Space. Your Friends. Your Stories. Share your world with Windows Live
Spaces. http://spaces.live.com/?mkt=en-ca