[NatureNS] Midnight sun?

Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 10:53:26 -0400
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi All,                Mar 22, 2007
    A physical model, such as an apple on a tilted wire for the earth
and a bare light bulb, in an otherwise dark room, for the sun, helps to
visualize this.

    The area nearest the north pole, as John implies, is the first to
get 24-hr sunlight (early spring) and by the summer solstice this zone
of constant daylight has extended downward to the arctic circle.As the
season advances to fall, the zone of 24-hr light moves back up to the
pole and then, in the period from autumnal equinox to winter solstice,
24-hr darkness first arrives at the pole and then extends downward to
the arctic circle.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville