[NatureNS] Fundy Shore Trip

From: "Wayne P. Neily" <neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: barpat@ns.sympatico.ca, gwen.short@ns.sympatico.ca,
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 02:35:52 -0300

<P>Hello all, </P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp; Those of us who were celebrating St. Patrick's Day last night missed Richard's note that he was "wimping out" (&nbsp;:&gt;)&nbsp;and about seven showed up at Cottage Cove this a.m.&nbsp; One had actually seen the note but decided to come anyway, so we did not have to sit around waiting for a leader, but decided to see what we could find.&nbsp; After an hour or two here, five of us decided to continue the day and went on down along the shore and over to Annapolis Royal after a brief trip to Middleton.&nbsp; </P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The variety was about what on would expect for this time of year, and there were no rarities to make our most experienced birders jealous, but with a small group, 3-4 'scopes, no rushing to&nbsp;get a certain&nbsp;distance in, and near-ideal viewing conditions most of the day, everyone managed to get good looks at most of the interesting birds, and some got "lifers".</P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp; As Murray noted&nbsp;yesterday, the tides are&nbsp;very high now, and it was close to high tide at Port George from 10:00 -12:00.&nbsp; The weather was cloudy with sunny intervals, with little wind&nbsp; and modest wave action, we got good views of many species.&nbsp; Highlights were the <STRONG>Purple Sandpipers </STRONG>(about 35), which the tide forced up to within 20-25m for easy viewing, and the 14 <STRONG>Harlequin Ducks </STRONG>(about&nbsp;9 males) whiiich stayed on or near the rocks at about the same distance, apparently unconcerned by our presence, were absolutely spectacular.&nbsp; The remarkable rust, white, and blue-grey pattern that gives the species its names (both Harlequin and <EM>Histrionicus</EM>)&nbsp;was resplendent, and their courtship behaviour showed the appropriateness of the fishermen's name for them - "lords-and-ladies'.&nbsp;&nbsp; Other
species there in good numbers included Common Eider (150+), White-winged Scoter, Surf Scoter, and Red-breasted Merganser (50-100+ each), while smaller numbers were seen of Common and Red-throated Loons, Horned and Red-necked Grebes, Long-tailed Ducks, Black Scoters (Roger Short only), and Common Mergansers (Pat &amp; Barb Giffin only).&nbsp; An immature Bald Eagle beating its way NE along the coast was probably a migrant.&nbsp; Herring and Great Black-backed were the only gulls seen.</P>
<P>&nbsp; We left&nbsp; Port George about noon, and went back onto the North Mountain at Mosher's Corner where Gary Myers and Roger were able to relocate a flock of Horned Larks that they had seen earlier and give us all good&nbsp;looks&nbsp;through the 'scopes.&nbsp; This flock of about 30 were of the&nbsp;northern race, <EM>E. a. alpestris</EM>, as one might expect at this season.&nbsp; Few other land birds were seen - a few ravens and Blue Jays, many crows, starlings, and a&nbsp;Black-capped Chickadees, but although I had Pine Grosbeaks in Margaretsville before the trip, and heard one at Mount Hanley, I was not able to show them to the others.</P>
<P>&nbsp; The Middleton trip to search for Cardinals was unsuccessful, but back at the shore at Port Lorne we got good looks at more of the above&nbsp;sea birds, and a <STRONG>Common Murre </STRONG>provided me with another highlight, although it was too far out and diving too much for me to be able to show it to others before it disappeared.&nbsp; A few snow squalls interrupted our viewing in the p.m., but a Song Sparrow singing at Phinney Cove reminded us that it was spring. </P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp; By the time we reached Annapolis Royal, the tide was quite low, and we had to go to the wharf in town to see the ducks in the river mouth.&nbsp; We all got good views of Buffleheads and Greater Scaup there, and more Red-breasted Mergansers, but only Roger managed to get a quick look at the <STRONG>Barrow's Goldeneye</STRONG>.&nbsp; The wind and snow were picking up by then and it was late afternoon, so we ended the trip, everyone quite happy with the results for a mid-March outing.<BR><BR>Cheers,<BR></P>