[NatureNS] A suprise spring song!

From: "Ken McKenna" <kenmcken@pchg.net>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 13:53:37 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0053_01C7689B.A97316A0

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644
kenmcken@pchg.net

Hi all
I have no sign yet of spring migrants to my yard here in Plymouth, =
Pictou Co., but was pleased this morning to open my window and hear what =
sounded like a harsh Song Sparrow, but not sounding quite right. It was =
much louder than the chorus from the multitude of Goldfinches.  A search =
through the trees in the backyard produced the singer, the =
over-wintering Lark Sparrow!  The sparrow has been a regular and likely =
daily visitor to my feeder since mid- December. The under-tail has =
become whiter over the winter. The bird flew to the feeder and in the =
same binocular view was the Pine Warbler which has been also a regular =
visitor.  In fact the species at my feeder have been consistent all =
winter except the Mourning Doves are in much larger numbers ( now =
about15) than I have ever had- likely a result of more white millet laid =
out for the Lark Sparrow.=20
Daily winter species are ~ 8-12 Tree Sparrows, 3-4 Juncos, Pr. Downy =
Woodpeckers, a male RN Pheasant, 6-8 Bluejays, ~ 80 American =
Goldfinches, 10-12 Black-capped Chickadees,  15 -20 Rock Pigeons( I =
could do without these) a few crows and Starlings  few to several =
thousand if the flock that roosts under the old Westray bridge decide to =
land in the yard prior to their entry to the roost. A Brown Creeper, =
Robins and a Sharp-shinned Hawk have made periodic trips to the yard =
over the winter. Early winter I had a couple of Evening Grosbaaks and a =
single Pine Siskin, but not in the last 2 months.=20
On Tues. I heard a Song Sparrow singing across the road and it might be =
a migrant as I had not seen any around the neighbourhood all winter. I =
feel the urge to get out and see if any of the NB migrants are around!

cheers
Ken
------=_NextPart_000_0053_01C7689B.A97316A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton =
NS<BR>B0K=20
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:kenmcken@pchg.net">kenmcken@pchg.net</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have no sign yet of spring migrants =
to my yard=20
here in Plymouth, Pictou Co., but was pleased this morning to open my =
window and=20
hear what sounded like a harsh Song Sparrow, but not sounding quite =
right. It=20
was much louder than the chorus&nbsp;from the multitude of Goldfinches. =
&nbsp;A=20
search through the trees in the backyard produced the singer, the =
over-wintering=20
Lark Sparrow!&nbsp; The sparrow has been a regular and likely daily =
visitor to=20
my feeder since mid- December. The&nbsp;under-tail has become whiter =
over the=20
winter. The bird flew to the feeder and in the same binocular view was =
the Pine=20
Warbler which has been also a regular visitor.&nbsp;&nbsp;In fact the =
species at=20
my feeder have been consistent all winter except the Mourning Doves are =
in much=20
larger numbers ( now about15)&nbsp;than I have ever had- likely a result =
of more=20
white millet laid out for the Lark Sparrow. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Daily winter species are ~ 8-12 Tree =
Sparrows, 3-4=20
Juncos, Pr. Downy Woodpeckers, a male RN Pheasant, 6-8 Bluejays, ~ 80 =
American=20
Goldfinches, 10-12 Black-capped Chickadees,&nbsp; 15 -20 Rock Pigeons( I =
could=20
do without these) a few crows and Starlings&nbsp; few to&nbsp;several =
thousand=20
if the flock that roosts under the old Westray bridge decide to land in =
the yard=20
prior to their entry to the roost. A Brown Creeper, Robins&nbsp;and a=20
Sharp-shinned Hawk have made periodic trips to the yard over the winter. =
Early=20
winter I had a couple of Evening Grosbaaks and a single Pine Siskin, but =
not in=20
the last 2 months. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>On Tues. I heard a Song Sparrow singing =
across the=20
road and it might be a migrant as I had not seen any around the =
neighbourhood=20
all winter. I feel the urge to get out and see if any of the NB migrants =
are=20
around!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ken</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0053_01C7689B.A97316A0--