[NatureNS] Winter Insects

Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 16:10:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: Paul MacDonald <paulrita2001@yahoo.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Angus
The family Taeniopterygidae is known to most anglers -
dedicated fly anglers at least - as "Early Brown
Stones". Eric Leiser and Robert Boyle in the book on
the subject say there are about 30 members in the
family. The nymphs are debris inhabitors rarely found
in open water. They go on about techinical ids which
sort of go over my head.
Some authors say it is the most important trout food
in our waters.
I need get some tied up.
Enjoy March
Paul

--- Angus MacLean <angusmcl@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Since it was a nice sunny day (+5) I decided  to
> look for some snow
> creatures. No luck but did come on this creature
> (two pics) on a wet
> section of a path.
>
> 	http://www.flickr.com/photos/58321572@N00/?saved=1
>
> I believe it is a Broadback (similar to a Stonefly)
> which is often
> found walking on the snow. His head appears to be
> heavily armored.
>
> Angus

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.