[NatureNS] Barrow's Goldeneye, etc., Annapolis Co.

From: "Wayne P. Neily" <neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: ns-rba@yahoogroups.com, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: bill.ca@ns.sympatico.ca, david.colville@nscc.ca,
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 04:59:22 -0400

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp; A few birds of interest to report, although I'm not sure even the Barrow's qualifies as "rare".&nbsp; It is certainly uncommon&nbsp;in this part&nbsp;of the Province, though, so I was delighted to see a male Barrow's Goldeneye in the Annapolis River just below the tidal power dam Friday afternoon (March 9).&nbsp; It was most easily viewed from the area behind the large "Used Clothing" warehouse there, although that would vary with tide and direction of the sun.&nbsp; There were at least 4 goldeneyes there, diving actively, a pair of Common Goldeneye, and probably a female Barrow's, although I could not get a really good look at it.&nbsp; The only other ducks in the area were about 18 Red-breasted Mergansers.&nbsp;&nbsp; </P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp; Returning via the shore road, I saw a few of most of the usual species, but the wind and wave action were too high to get good counts or even see anything farther out.&nbsp; Horned grebe, Surf and White-winged Scoter, Long-tailed Duck, Common Eider and Common Loon were picked out from Parker's Cove to Port Lorne, and an Iceland Gull (Kumlein's) among other gulls at Port Lorne.&nbsp;&nbsp;Beside the usual land birds, I saw one Pine Grosbeak at Young's Cove, five American Robins at Hampton Beach, and one at Port Lorne.&nbsp; The Robins were probably overwintering ones, although I notice that there were also increased reports of them on the N. B. side of the Bay this week.&nbsp; An adult Bald Eagle at Outram and a Red-tailed Hawk at Phinney Cove&nbsp;with a dark, but unbarred tail&nbsp;were the only raptors seen in that area, but an adult Northern Goshawk had flown across the road at Torbrook Mines that morning as I was going to work.</P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp; No new species&nbsp;recently at my feeders in Tremont, but on Wednesday (8 March) two Brown Creepers were present instead of the one that had been around all winter.&nbsp; Of course, it may have been that two were present all along, but I did not see more than one at a time before, as they do not actually come to the feeders, but move inconspicuously around the trees.</P>