[NatureNS] Blogging, gardening, nature watching

From: "Wild Flora" <herself@wildflora.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 09:55:04 -0400

Dear NatureNS,

Recently (thanks in large part to encouragement received from someone I met
through this list), I started blogging. Not many people mention blogs on
this list, though many people post their wonderful photos online, so I
thought it might be worth mentioning that blogging is another way to share
photos and experiences of nature. In fact, many of the photo services seem
to be set up to integrate with blogs; I've been using Picasa for my photos,
for example, and it's fully integrated with the Blogger blogging service
(both are owned by Google).

Why bother to blog? Well, for one thing you can conveniently include a
considerable amount of text in a blog. This would be handy if you'd like to
say more about the photos you're sharing than the typical caption space
allows. Blogs also take a diary form, which works rather well for nature
observations. Your comments and photos will automatically be archived, and
with the latest version of Blogger (not the only way to blog but easy and
free) you can attach "labels" to each of your entries, allowing your fans to
easily find all the comments you've made or photos you've uploaded on any
given topic, even if they span several years. And of course, fans can get
news of new postings by subscribing to a feed.

I started out with a blog on my favorite topic, wildlife-friendly gardening,
natural landscaping, and native plants. If you're interested, you'll find it
at http://www.wildgardeners.blogspot.com Right now I'm blogging about
gardening to attract butterflies and hummingbirds. I have been using a lot
of photos, so the blog will illustrate some easy ways to incorporate photos
(both by incorporating a photo directly into the blog and by linking to
photos or albums located elsewhere).

However, so many of my friends were interested in starting blogs of their
own that I started a blog on that topic as well. I'm by no means an expert
on this subject, but I'm sharing what I do know and everything I find out at
http://www.techcrone.com.

Shanti,

Wild Flora