[NatureNS] Song sparrows and overwintering

Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 12:03:15 -0400
From: "Richard Stern" <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi,

Small numbers of Song Sparrows do stay over winter in NS. We have had
2-3 daily all winter at the feeder. The Great Backyard Bird Count on
Feb. 16-19 reports 112 Song Sparrows divided amongst 54 checklists in
NS. Some have now started to sing, and that's definitely a sign of
impending Spring. But what do you mean by a "young" Song Sparrow? -
after the initial juvenile plumage in early Fall, all ages look pretty
much the same. Could this bird be a different species?

Cheers,

Richard

--
Richard Stern,