[NatureNS] gray parrtridge

Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 07:11:46 -0800 (PST)
From: Paul MacDonald <paulrita2001@yahoo.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Win
Way back in the 40s, my Grandmother feed large numbers
of Huns as they were called then each winter. In
excess of 100 was common. They would roost on the door
step in the sun. They ingest a large amount of grit to
digest their food, so she always had a pile of gravel
or grit for them.
Maybe some one understands more of their digestive
process than I but the grit must have passed through
forcing them to eat some every day. If not, they soon
wouldn't have been able to fly.
Anyway, when the DOH started salting the roads, the
huns found a ready supply of grit there. They couldn't
handle the salt and were soon history.
Haven't seen any in years. A very nice bird.
Hope there is some in Debert
Paul

--- Win & Ina <win@eastlink.ca> wrote:

>     In reponse to Jean. Years ago I flushed gray
> partridge at McElmon's Pond ( near Debert)  It was
> in an area which now would be behind the outhouses.
> Since the area is now a Prov Park, with a very nice
> walking trail and more human/dog visitors, I have no
> idea if there are any of the birds out there.
>
> W. Kettleson

Finding fabulous fares is fun.