[NatureNS] Determining Elevation

Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 15:52:53 -0400
From: Gerald Ruderman <naturens@zdoit.airpost.net>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Paul,

I am curious where you learned that GPS uses atmospheric pressure for
altitude.

My GPS gives me altitude when it has good signals from 4 satellites.
When it only has 3 it only give me position on the geoid. GPS receivers
have no way to send anything to the satellites.

Atmospheric pressure is important at airports because planes most basic
 altitude measurement is by pressure.

Gerald