[NatureNS] FW: (BNS) Total eclipse of the moon Saturday evening

Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 13:12:05 -0400
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: Roy Bishop <rg@ns.sympatico.ca>, Larry Bogan <larry@bogan.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_qXbjOPdjYvNb0hhM8cPdsQ)

Apologies to those who receive this more than once, from Jim.  Also I have
pasted, below Harold's note, the article on this from yesterday's Herald.
----------
From: Harold Forsyth <harold.forsyth@ns.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 10:41:50 -0400
To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
Subject: (BNS) Total eclipse of the moon Saturday evening

There is a total eclipse of the Moon Saturday evening.  The moon rises at
6:00 p.m. with its lower edge already immersed in Earth's umbral shadow.
Total eclipse extends from 6:44 until 7:58 p.m.  See your BNS calendar for
more details or go to Sherman Williams' website at
http://www.glinx.com/~sherm where he has posted notes on the eclipse with
times adjusted for viewing in Atlantic Canada and a link accessing a diagra=
showing the path the Moon will be taking through the Earth's shadow.
---------------
Chronicle Herald, Friday, March 2, 2007

[Article was accompanied by nice set of diagrams of stages of eclipse with
times]

The place to stargaze on Saturday
Total lunar eclipse most visible in east

By MELANIE PATTEN The Canadian Press

When the Earth=B9s shadow gradually swallows the moon on Saturday, Dave Lane
will have one of the best spots on the planet to watch the spectacle unfold=
.

The total lunar eclipse, the first in 2 1/2 years, can best be viewed along
the east coast of Canada and the United States, as well as South Africa,
Europe and much of Asia.

Lane, an astronomy technician at Saint Mary=B9s University in Halifax, will
watch the eclipse =8B weather permitting =8B from the school=B9s observatory,
perched atop a 22-storey building.

"It=B9s one of the top events of the year for those interested in astronomy,"
says Lane. "We don=B9t know what to expect . . . We don=B9t know what colour
it=B9s going to have, how bright it=B9s going to be."

Lunar eclipses occur when a full moon, on its usual orbit around the earth,
slips into the shadow of the Earth.

The eclipsed moon may appear washed in a copper or brown colour as sunlight
leaks through the earth=B9s atmosphere.

The moon=B9s disappearing act is expected to begin Saturday at 5:30 p.m.
Atlantic time. The eclipse will be in progress as the moon rises and as the
sky begins to darken over New England, Atlantic Canada and portions of
Quebec.

In Ontario and points west, the moon won=B9t rise until the eclipse is well
underway, making it impossible for some to see the event.

"If the moon is really a copper colour, and if the sky isn=B9t dark in the
background, it isn=B9t the same," says Lane.

In Atlantic Canada and eastern Quebec, the moon is expected to disappear fo=
about 74 minutes, a phenomenon known as totality, starting at 6:44 p.m. AST=
.

The entire moon will reappear by 9:11 p.m. AST.

Though people on the East Coast will be in the right place to watch the
eclipse, cloud cover could make that difficult.

The president of the Royal Astronomical Society=B9s Newfoundland branch is
hopeful the province will be spared from snow that is in the forecast.

"I=B9m hoping they=B9re wrong about the storm," says Garry Dymond, who has his
own observatory at his home in St. John=B9s.

"It=B9s a nice, early (eclipse), so everyone can get out and see it.

"We spend so much time in front of computers and stuff like that, we lose
contact with nature . . . It=B9s a nice chance to sit back and watch nature i=
action."

Unlike a solar eclipse, which happens when the moon blocks the sun=B9s
powerful rays, watching a lunar eclipse does not require any special gear o=
protective equipment.

--Boundary_(ID_qXbjOPdjYvNb0hhM8cPdsQ)

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>FW: (BNS) Total eclipse of the moon Saturday evening</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Apologies to those who receive this more than once, from Jim. &nbsp;Also I =
have pasted, below Harold's note, the article on this from yesterday's Heral=
d.<BR>
----------<BR>
<B>From: </B>Harold Forsyth &lt;harold.forsyth@ns.sympatico.ca&gt;<BR>
<B>Date: </B>Sat, 03 Mar 2007 10:41:50 -0400<BR>
<B>To: </B>&lt;Undisclosed-Recipient:;&gt;<BR>
<B>Subject: </B>(BNS) Total eclipse of the moon Saturday evening<BR>
<BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">There is a total eclipse of the Moon Satu=
rday evening. &nbsp;The moon rises at 6:00 p.m. with its lower edge already =
immersed in Earth's umbral shadow. &nbsp;Total eclipse extends from 6:44 unt=
il 7:58 p.m. &nbsp;See your BNS calendar for more details or go to Sherman W=
illiams' website at </FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Times New Roman">http://www.gl=
inx.com/~sherm </FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">where he has posted =
notes on the eclipse with times adjusted for viewing in Atlantic Canada and =
a link accessing a diagram showing the path the Moon will be taking through =
the Earth's shadow.<BR>
---------------<BR>
</FONT></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"4"><TT>Chronicle Herald, Friday, March 2, 2007<BR=

<BR>
[Article was accompanied by nice set of diagrams of stages of eclipse with<=

times]<BR>
<BR>
The place to stargaze on Saturday<BR>
Total lunar eclipse most visible in east<BR>
<BR>
By MELANIE PATTEN The Canadian Press<BR>
<BR>
When the Earth=B9s shadow gradually swallows the moon on Saturday, Dave Lane<=

will have one of the best spots on the planet to watch the spectacle unfold=
.<BR>
<BR>
The total lunar eclipse, the first in 2 1/2 years, can best be viewed along=
<BR>
the east coast of Canada and the United States, as well as South Africa,<BR=

Europe and much of Asia.<BR>
<BR>
Lane, an astronomy technician at Saint Mary=B9s University in Halifax, will<B=

watch the eclipse =8B weather permitting =8B from the school=B9s observatory,<BR>
perched atop a 22-storey building.<BR>
<BR>
&quot;It=B9s one of the top events of the year for those interested in astron=
omy,&quot;<BR>
says Lane. &quot;We don=B9t know what to expect . . . We don=B9t know what colo=
ur<BR>
it=B9s going to have, how bright it=B9s going to be.&quot;<BR>
<BR>
Lunar eclipses occur when a full moon, on its usual orbit around the earth,=
<BR>
slips into the shadow of the Earth.<BR>
<BR>
The eclipsed moon may appear washed in a copper or brown colour as sunlight=
<BR>
leaks through the earth=B9s atmosphere.<BR>
<BR>
The moon=B9s disappearing act is expected to begin Saturday at 5:30 p.m.<BR>
Atlantic time. The eclipse will be in progress as the moon rises and as the=
<BR>
sky begins to darken over New England, Atlantic Canada and portions of<BR>
Quebec.<BR>
<BR>
In Ontario and points west, the moon won=B9t rise until the eclipse is well<B=

underway, making it impossible for some to see the event.<BR>
<BR>
&quot;If the moon is really a copper colour, and if the sky isn=B9t dark in t=
he<BR>
background, it isn=B9t the same,&quot; says Lane.<BR>
<BR>
In Atlantic Canada and eastern Quebec, the moon is expected to disappear fo=
r<BR>
about 74 minutes, a phenomenon known as totality, starting at 6:44 p.m. AST=
.<BR>
<BR>
The entire moon will reappear by 9:11 p.m. AST.<BR>
<BR>
Though people on the East Coast will be in the right place to watch the<BR>
eclipse, cloud cover could make that difficult.<BR>
<BR>
The president of the Royal Astronomical Society=B9s Newfoundland branch is<BR=

hopeful the province will be spared from snow that is in the forecast.<BR>
<BR>
&quot;I=B9m hoping they=B9re wrong about the storm,&quot; says Garry Dymond, wh=
o has his<BR>
own observatory at his home in St. John=B9s.<BR>
<BR>
&quot;It=B9s a nice, early (eclipse), so everyone can get out and see it.<BR>
<BR>
&quot;We spend so much time in front of computers and stuff like that, we l=
ose<BR>
contact with nature . . . It=B9s a nice chance to sit back and watch nature i=
n<BR>
action.&quot;<BR>
<BR>
Unlike a solar eclipse, which happens when the moon blocks the sun=B9s<BR>
powerful rays, watching a lunar eclipse does not require any special gear o=
r<BR>
protective equipment.<BR>
</TT></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial"><BR>
</FONT></FONT><BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_qXbjOPdjYvNb0hhM8cPdsQ)--