[NatureNS] kelp flies

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 23:32:34 -0400
From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Murray,
That's an intriguing observation.  Roughly what temperature would it have been
when you saw this, below zero?  I'm interested generally in flies and didn't
realize that any adults of such groups were around at these
temperatures, or at
all in February.  As a sort of reference point, I recall reading that the UK
low-temperature record for an insect "behaving" was -5°C for a bristletail
(wingless insect) that someone observed sitting on a seaside rock in Wales,
whereupon it promptly ran away.  I found that it takes a -7°C surface
temperature (aluminium)to immobilize the same species that we also get here
(they hibernate over winter here in sea cliff crevices). Flies like other
insects are cold-blooded, and many cell systems like important enzymes have
temperature optima and slow down and eventually shut off when the temperature
drops, so the animals then can't perform at all, e.g. fly around.

I think that 'kelp flies' is a name usually restricted to the family
Coelopidae,
with only a few species here in the genus Coelopa.  The Manual of Nearctic
Diptera doesn't mention anything about year-round adults or low temperature
behaviour, though that's not the main thrust of MND so perhaps this doesn't
mean much.

Maybe all this is well-known locally here -- has anyone else seen these flies
flying around recently, for instance while birding around the high tide
line? They tend to fly in small low clouds around piles of seaweed
washed up there,
in summer.  If anyone has info and has an idea of what the temperature was at
the time, it would be interesting to hear about it.  Do birders ever set out
armed with digital thermometers, now quite inexpensive?
Steve, Halifax