[NatureNS] more peeps in the dead of winter

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 19:09:42 -0400
From: Susann Myers <myerss@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi, Bob.

Welcome back to NatureNS!  Thanks to your great directions and your notice
that there were shorebirds to be seen, I hiked out to this beach with my
spotting scope on Saturday (Feb. 17?).  It was not easy in places getting
the scope through those hurricane-downed woods, but was worth it for the
looks I got at the beach.  I counted 26 Dunlin there, along with 10
Black-headed Gulls and a mix of other very vocal gulls.  There were no Semi.
Sandpipers present, and the Dunlin were busily pulling worms out of the mud,
just as you described, so I suspect these are the same birds you're seeing.

Field marks that help ID winter Dunlin are their size (a couple of inches
larger than SESAs), chunky appearance, long drooping bills, and grey-brown
unmarked breasts, giving them a hooded look.  Semipalmated Sandpipers have
only a smudge of dark markings at the side of the breast, and a clear pale
central breast.  These field marks can't be seen at any distance without a
scope, however.  It's also helpful to know that SESAs would be rarities here
in winter, while Dunlin can be expected in these numbers with a bit of luck.

Thanks again for your posting through Suzanne to let us know about these
shorebirds.
Cheers,
Susann