[NatureNS] Port George etc

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 15:16:39 -0400

What a treat to finally get over to the Fundy shore without feeling like you
are risking life and limb! At 10am I could not only get out of the car but
could use glasses without gloves - hey things are looking up. Even though it
was high tide the totally calm conditions made for good viewing of whatever
was about, which was surprisingly varied given the miserable winds we have
just survived. The list included:-
62 Common Eiders
32 Long tailed ducks
29 White Winged Scoters
3 Surf Scoters
5 Red Necked Grebes
1 Horned Grebe
8 Red Breasted Mergansers
8 Harlequin Ducks (5 males)
6 Common Loon
1 Red Throated Loon

The local crows were having a field day, first ganging up on a Raven and
then on a Red Tailed hawk. Another Red tailed hawk that was mostly albino
flew over as I was leaving. A pheasant male ran across the road.

MARGARETVILLE.
Very little of interest here despite very good viewing conditions. A flock
of at least 200 starlings were feeding in a single field. There were 12 Long
tails and 5 Eiders at the point. Even the gulls had gone totally missing.

John Belbin - Kingston