[NatureNS] speed at which ice melts

From: "Andy Moir/Chris Callaghan" <andyandchris@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 12:16:25 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C75356.9BEBC040

Here's a question.  The other night we left a bucket of water out for =
the horse and donkey.  The overnight temperature dropped to about -12c.  =
It was a squarish plastic bucket, probably about 12 inches by 12 inches =
by about 14 inches high.  (I apologize for being metrically challenged =
on some measurements).  The water was frozen into a solid block by =
morning.  In all, the bucket was probably outside for 12 hours.  We =
brought the bucket in the house, where the temperature was about 17C.  =
After 48 hours of being inside, there was still ice floating in the =
bucket.  My question is, why does it take so much longer for the water =
to thaw than to freeze.  To my mind, if it took 12 hours (or less) to =
freeze at -12C temperature, shouldn't it take less time to thaw at a =
temperature in excess of +12C?
Andy in Freeport=20

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C75356.9BEBC040

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Here's a question.&nbsp; The other =
night we left a=20
bucket of water out for the horse and donkey.&nbsp; The overnight =
temperature=20
dropped to about -12c.&nbsp;&nbsp;It was a squarish plastic bucket, =
probably=20
about 12 inches by 12 inches by about 14 inches high.&nbsp; (I apologize =
for=20
being metrically challenged on some measurements).&nbsp; The water was =
frozen=20
into a solid block by morning.&nbsp; In all, the bucket was probably =
outside for=20
12 hours.&nbsp; We brought the bucket in the house, where the =
temperature was=20
about 17C.&nbsp; After 48 hours of being inside, there was still ice =
floating in=20
the bucket.&nbsp; My question is, why does it take so much longer for =
the water=20
to thaw than to freeze.&nbsp; To my mind, if it took 12 hours (or less) =
to=20
freeze at -12C temperature, shouldn't it take less time to thaw at a =
temperature=20
in excess of +12C?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Andy in Freeport&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>

------=_NextPart_000_0019_01C75356.9BEBC040--