[NatureNS] High Harlequin numbers

From: "Ken McKenna" <kenmcken@pchg.net>
To: "NS-RBA" <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>,
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 08:36:04 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C75337.D3B17E80

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644
kenmcken@pchg.net

Yesterday, Feb, 17, a group from the Pictou Co. Naturalists explored for =
birds on the eastern shore from Sheet Harbour to Harrigan Cove.=20
Highlights were a fem. SPRUCE GROUSE in Malay Falls, a whopping "55" =
HARLEQUIN DUCKS off Sober I. , 15 PURPLE SANDPIPERS off Sober I. ( one =
of them the whitish one have seen now for several years in the same =
location)., 2 DOVEKIES at Beaver Harbour and 3 at Harrigan Cove, 2 GREAT =
CORMORANT Sober I. and 2 at Beaver Harbour, 1 DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTat =
Beaver Harbour and 1 at Port Dufferin, and 1 BONAPARTE'S GULL at Sober =
I. =20
 A few of the Great Cormorants are now supporting the white hip patch =
seen as they fly. This was the largest group of Harlequins any of us had =
ever seen and up considerable from the 17 that Harry and Jean Brennan =
had at the same location just over a month ago. The usual wintering =
ducks, grebes, guillemots and loons were present in most coves. Numbers =
are summarized under Port Dufferin, Mosers River and Sheet Harbour on =
the Breat Backyard Bird Count web-site although the unusual Harlequin =
number has apparently triggered an inquiry and it is not displayed as =
yet.=20
    For mammals we saw a mink at Ruth Falls, and otters at Sober I. and =
near Harrigan Cove.
------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C75337.D3B17E80

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton =
NS<BR>B0K=20
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:kenmcken@pchg.net">kenmcken@pchg.net</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Yesterday, Feb, 17,&nbsp;a group from =
the Pictou=20
Co. Naturalists explored for birds on the eastern shore from Sheet =
Harbour to=20
Harrigan Cove. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Highlights were a fem.&nbsp;SPRUCE =
GROUSE&nbsp;in=20
Malay Falls, a whopping "55" HARLEQUIN DUCKS off Sober I. , =
15&nbsp;PURPLE=20
SANDPIPERS&nbsp;off Sober I. ( one of them the whitish one have seen now =
for=20
several years in the same location)., 2&nbsp;DOVEKIES at Beaver Harbour =
and 3 at=20
Harrigan Cove, 2&nbsp;GREAT CORMORANT&nbsp;Sober I. and 2 at Beaver=20
Harbour,&nbsp;1 DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTat Beaver Harbour and 1 at Port=20
Dufferin, and 1 BONAPARTE'S GULL at Sober I. &nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;A few of the Great Cormorants are =
now=20
supporting the white hip&nbsp;patch seen as they fly. This was the =
largest group=20
of Harlequins any of us had ever seen and up considerable from the 17 =
that Harry=20
and Jean Brennan had at the same location just over a month ago. The =
usual=20
wintering ducks, grebes, guillemots and loons were present in most =
coves.=20
Numbers are summarized under Port Dufferin, Mosers River&nbsp;and Sheet =
Harbour=20
on the Breat Backyard Bird Count web-site although the unusual Harlequin =
number=20
has apparently triggered an inquiry and it is not displayed as yet.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; For mammals we saw a =
mink at=20
Ruth Falls, and otters at Sober I. and near Harrigan Cove.=20
</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C75337.D3B17E80--