[NatureNS] Determining Elevation the hard way

Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 11:05:17 -0400
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&gt; arms (ig
Hi Steve & All,            Feb 14, 2007
    Not lack of interest but other demands kept me from responding
earlier. And this will have to be brief with perhaps a follow up later.

     That may be a witty quotation about ideas but it does not ring
true, because we all constantly use ideas that were initially generated
by others. To paraphrase Newton (because I don't have time to dig out
the original quotation) if we are able to see into the distance at all,
it is because we stand on the shoulders of giants.

    When I read Jamie's original post, and your initial reply, three
thoughts came to mind.
 1) He is posing this question to initiate a discussion and it sounds
like a fun question to explore, one reply does not constitute a
discussion so why not take part ? As it turned out, a lot of interesting
approaches rose to the surface and more may come, so I think it has been
worthwhile.

 2) Or it might in addition be a genuine question and his "I could
probably find a topographical map..." suggested a relatively low
elevation where a topographical map would be much less informative than
at say 200 m as you supposed.

3) And with all the recent talk about sea level rise perhaps this hill
that affords a view is really quite low, say less than 50' and the
question is of more than idle interest but as in 2) would require a
method suitable for small elevation differences.

    Now I have not worked out the likely errors as a function of
elevation, but I think you would agree, in qualitative terms, that the
approach you proposed would become less precise as elevation decreased
and would be very imprecise at elevations of say 5 m (slope being 5/1000
= 1/200).

    Returning briefly to the differential manometer, note that I did not
conclude it to be the superior method of the two. I said simply that
"...I looked at a second approach..." that one must work rapidly to
avoid temperature changes, that it will "... slightly or seriously
underestimate..." and suggested at the end that, as described, it might
work fairly well at up to 10-15 feet above sea level. Hardly a ringing
endorsement.of this differential manometer.

    This limitation to very low elevations, and to some extent the
underestimation at higher elevations, could be overcome, I think, if we
assumed access to a few scraps of 4" PVC pipe, to increase the volume of
the closed arm, with fittings and closure of some kind. This larger
volume would also largely overcome another problem that I forgot to
mention in my original post; increase in temperature when volume of a
gas is decreased adiabatically.

    I thought that one might be able to beat the ceramic out of a spark
plug and use the resultant hollow bolt as an adapter for the bicycle
valve stem. So I tried this the other day. Getting the center post out
is a piece of cake. I did learn that this ceramic is quite hard. Hard
enough to mark window glass and hard enough to gouge channels in a
center punch and a 1/4" drift.

    I took an old washing machine apart several years ago and, if I
interpreted the parts correctly, the low, medium and high water settings
are controlled by a pressure transducer that is coupled to water depth
by a Tygon tube and that when triggered closes a normally open solenoid
(open at the fill segment of the cycle). Whether this would have
potential depends, among other things, on whether or not the transducer
is a sealed unit. Perhaps someone knows how these are configured.

    It seems that you didn't follow the theory. And perhaps I didn't
either because it is easy to overlook the obvious. Thus the need to
always test an idea in nuts and bolts before it becomes credible. Here
is the rationale once again.

     If one has a container that can either be open to the air or closed
at will, and if this container is opened at sea level for a time
sufficient to equilibrate and then closed then the pressure in the
container (po) will remain constant at any elevation, provided neither
temperature nor volume changes. If one sets the manometer at sea level
then the pressure in the closed arm will be po. When the unit is taken
to a higher elevation then the volume of air (unfortunately) does
change. Ignoring this bias for the moment, the balance of forces will
(ideally assuming no change in po due to the larger volume) be

po= h + p
where, as previously, h is the difference in water level in the two arms
and p is the pressure at the higher elevation. These forces must all of
course be expressed in the same units (cm of water or dynes/cm^2).

    Returning now to that unfortunate bias, that is a consequence of
volume change in the closed arm, one can reduce this bias to any desired
small proportion by increasing the initial volume of the closed arm. But
as initial volume of the closed arm is increased, the distortion that
will be introduced by temperature changes will be increased. So initial
volume can be made very large only if temperature stability of the
closed volume is reasonably good.

    No doubt glass tubing would be better than Tygon, the latter just
being more widely available (Can. Tire used to carry Tygon but not sure
they still do). I did once make a water manometer for lab use, using
glass tubing, and wetting really does not cause problems with reading.
One could readily read pressure to within 1 mm of water (about 0.074 mm
Hg). The nuts, bolts and setting were very different but I now see that
the theory of this unit, built to confirm pressure regulator function at
very low negative pressures relative to atmospheric, and the portable
water manometer are identical.

Yours truly, Dave Webster, Kentville