[NatureNS] Determining Elevation

Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 22:47:24 -0400
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Jamie & All,            Feb 10, 2007
    After my previous reply I thought of an approach that requires only
a good compass (Silva Huntsman or equivalent) and features that can be
located on a map (including the house location)  such as highway
intersections, or abrupt bends in highways, provided the visible object
can be seen from these two (preferably three) locations. It is
surprising how precisely compass direction can be measured with a
hand-held compass if you don't hurry.

    Just draw the headings, after correction for declination, on a large
scale map. Where the two (preferably three for confidence) lines cross
is the location of the visible object and from map scale calculate
distance. Probably most precise if the two outside sight points and the
target approximate an equilateral triangle.

    Don't carry an eversharp in shirt pocket to record the headings !
There is something about the metal at the upper end of an eversharp
(nickel perhaps) that drives my compass crazy. I learned this almost the
hard way when walking several miles cross-country to a small lake.
Fortunately the sun came out briefly several times early on.
Yt, DW