[NatureNS] Mushroom identification help

Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 09:39:11 -0400
From: sherm@glinx.com
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Peter, not nearly enough is shown in the photo to make an ID, but from what I
see in the photo, the top of the mushroom makes me think mostly of the genus,
Russula, but thoughts of the genus, Hygrophorus, are also tingling. Russula
species typically have very white flesh and caps that come in some shade of
red, but much more has to be seen in order to make a serious ID.

The white spots are probably bites taken by a slug, exposing the white flesh of
the mushroom.
  Sherman