[NatureNS] Slide night at NSBS meeting

Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 17:18:18 -0400
From: "Richard Stern" <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, jason <jason@webbedproductions.com>

Hi Jason,

You probably saw a few of mine that evening.

I use a Nikon D70s dSLR and I now have 3 lenses suitable for bird
photography - a Nikon 80-400mmVR, which seems rather heavy but is
relatively short and fat, and produces excellent image quality - a
Tamron 200-500mm. SP-IF without any kind of VR or IS, but is light and
well-balanced enough to hand hold at reasonably high shutter speeds,
and now I have just got a Nikon 70-300mm. ED-IF-VR, which seems to
work well with a Kenko Pro Teleplus 300 1.4X teleconverter, to give a
similar range to the 80-400,, but at half the weight. All 3 have good
image quality. In good light, I think the Tamron gives the most
consistently good results. I think the 70-300/ 1.4X is going to be the
best for traveling, and right now I'm not sure but I might sell the
80-400.

Almost all bird shots require at least some cropping (often a lot) and
some sharpening, and I use PSE3.

I also do some digiscoping, although it seems to be less and less. For
that, I now use a Sony W5 5mpxl digicam, with a Nikon Fieldscope-3ED
scope, usually with a 20X fixed eypiece mounted on a tripod, and
attached using a LensPlus adaptor.

I have some web galleries here - www.pbase.com/rb_stern (click on the
various sub-galleries and thumbnails), but I'm finding Pbase to be
frequently unreliable, so at least for now I opened a free trial
account here - www.zenfolio.com/rbstern , to see how it works.

In general, buying a pair of binoculars or a scope is like buying a
car or a computer. You can get the basics cheap, but for more money
you generally get something that is better quality, longer-lasting, or
more usable. There are numerous web sites listing and reviewing
numerous models, and a few stores in NS where you can test drive some
of them. FYI, my scope is as above, and my binocs are Zeiss Victory 2
10 X40.

Richard

--
Richard Stern,