[NatureNS] Yesterday at Bacarro and Cape Sable Island

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 15:51:15 +0000

Dorothy Poole and I took a run to both of the above locations yesterday.
Birds seen have previously been reported by Murray and Johnny, with the
exception of a few.

We had a female harlequin duck in by the wharf at Port LaTour.  There were
three northern pintails also at Port LaTour, a male and two females.  I had
a great blue heron by the Mount Pleasant turnoff in flight and headed
towards Crescent Beach.

At Bacarro the waves were impressive.  So impressive that we could not tell
what birds were sitting in them.  We saw two alcids which looked interesting
in flight, but the disappeared into the waves before we could get a positive
id.  We had two snow buntings at Bacarro close to the bank edge and feeding
in the grass.  These were observed from the car when we pulled in.

At Cape Sable Island we saw the two harriers, and brant previously reported.
  Also, at Daniels Head the redhead, five lesser scaup, and 45 greater scaup
as reported by Johnny.  Not mentioned I believe at Daniels Head were six
Bonaparte Gulls and one Savannah Sparrow.  Two of the killdeer were still at
Clarks Harbour, on the shoreline by the ball field.  We had a good day with
42 species.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

Your Space. Your Friends. Your Stories. Share your world with Windows Live
Spaces. http://discoverspaces.live.com/?loc=en-CA