[NatureNS] A cold day birding

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 02:16:59 +0000

Dorothy Poole and I braved the cold today to see what we could find.  It was
mostly car birding with 31 species, which I believe is respectable for such
a day.  We had a good hawk day with red-tailed hawk, a merlin (which I saw
in my yard this morning), a merlin at First South, which was seen later
pursuing a morning dove.  The morning dove seemed to be winning and was
outmanuvering and outdistancing the merlin when they went out of sight.
Shortly after that a northern harrier went along the shoreline and we also
saw a bald eagle.  So a good raptor day with these birds looking for prey to
sustain them through the cold snap.

The best birds of the day were pine grosbeaks.  There were six, with five
males and one female and these birds were between Blockhouse and Maitland on
the way to Bridgewater.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

Windows Live Spaces: share your New Year pictures!
http://discoverspaces.live.com/?loc=en-CA