[NatureNS] Comet McNaught a lovely comet to see

From: Sherman Williams <sherm@glinx.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 15:35:59 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Everyone,

If you have access to a good low western horizon that is fairly clear
of cloud you may be interested in this.

There is a wonderfully bright comet in the evening sky for the next
few days, visible in the bright twilight right after sunset.  Several
of us who follow such things had a great view of it Sunday evening.
To give some idea of the event, I will copy the report I submitted to
my RASC listserve also I urge you to go to http://
www.spaceweather.com/  and check out the Comet Gallery and also the
sky map for finding it. The opportune time would be probably 5:15 to
5:40 p.m.  and I stress the necessity for an unobstructed western sky
down to a low horizon.

The photos at Spaceweather will give some idea of the comet view
especially in binoculars (binoculars are a must for a good view.  Use
Venus to get started (low and bright in the WSW after sunset) and use
it to judge where the comet should be (to the right and at nearly the
same level as Venus and above the sunset point).   Venus should be
visible easily between 5 and 5:15 p.m. in a clear sky.  Some of the
photos at spaceweather are morning views( tail to the left of the
bright comet head), some are evening views (tail to the right).

Hope the sky co-operates soon in allowing  an observation as good as
last Sunday evening was for me.  Sunday's report follows:

All the best,
   Sherman

Sherman Williams
sherm@glinx.com