[NatureNS] boreal Chickadees

Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 10:33:46 -0400
From: Bob McDonald <bobathome@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Eleanor and others,

My perspective is that Boreal Chickadees remain as uncommon permanent
residents.  They are unusual at feeders but we had a couple of regulars for
the first two or three years at our new home in Clayton Park West (Halifax).
Of course, back then, before much more extensive development, we also had
Northern Flying Squirrels and Ruffed Grouse.
Perhaps Christmas Bird Count data might be able to reveal any population
changes, and of course the Maritime Breeding Bird Atlas should give valuable
information on their distribution and abundance.
The Rainbow Haven contingent encountered a small group of BOCHs in early
morning on the Halifax-Dartmouth Christmas Count on Dec 17, however, these
were the first I had seen in a couple of months and I haven't seen any
since.

I guess they are taking black oil sunflower seeds?

Cheers,

Bob McDonald