[NatureNS] possible Thayer's Gull - East Linden, Cumb. Co.

Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 08:51:50 -0800 (PST)
From: Paul MacDonald <paulrita2001@yahoo.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Ian and All
Your note reminded me of a Small Herring Gull of many
years ago. In those days, Gulls and people associated
more closely. Clouds of gulls followed the plow as
they did with fishing boats or anything that might
offer a meal.
This gull had been following the plows in our area for
many years. With horses, it would come and land a few
feet away to get a mouse or a grub that would be
disturbed. When tractors got common, it would land on
the plow itself and watch from there. I once saw a
mouse running towards a gull, the gull put its head on
the ground and the mouse ran right in.
It was a small gull but otherwise a Herring Gull. It
had only one leg - don't know if that had to do with
the size. All the local farmers knew it and although
there was no one who knew its age - it was old. Maybe
they decrease in size with age?
A real pet it was. Thanks for reminding me of it.
Enjoy the winter
Paul

http://chimera.stfx.ca/aves/image/possible_thayers_gull.jpg

http://chimera.stfx.ca/aves/image/possible_thayers_gull_2.jpg