[NatureNS] Kings Co Fundy coastline

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 20:32:34 -0400

	This afternoon Brenda and Bill Thexton and I explored the Fundy
Coast from approximately Bennett's Bay to Hall's Harbour before turning
inland again. The sun was shining brightly and there was a stiff NW wind
whipping up the waves and making for some nice surf at high tide. We first
spotted a Common Loon just offshore diving for its dinner; a Red Breasted
Merganser flew by skimming the tops of the waves. Two more ducks with
black and white markings went by so fast and at such a distance that  we
could not call them anything but ducks!  At the mouth of the Canning River
just in behind Janet Austin's house there were at least 60 Canada Geese.
We saw two Red tailed Hawks along the way, and two Bald Eagles at the
Blueberry Acres Pond on Saxon Street. At the very end of the pond there
were at least 75 ducks, but they were so far away they were but silhouettes
against the sparkling waters. We looked at lots of bird feeders where there
was feed, but there was no activity. It is just too warm and open so far for
good winter birding. The scenery was superlative. At one point Bill asked us
if we would rather live in Toronto, which was met with derision and moans!!
Not a chance!! JET