Long & boring perhaps: was Re: [NatureNS] Digital measurements

From: Patrick Kelly <patrick.kelly@dal.ca>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 13:04:01 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

integrated circuits these days would be driven by a power su

--Apple-Mail-62-199963936
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

>    If output voltage decreases, due to battery fatigue, while these
> necessary 8 questions are satisfied then even if there initially was
> enough output voltage to set bit 1 with some left over, in addition to
> all the other set bits,  the voltage may have dropped too low to set
> bit 1 by the time question 8 is asked.
>    One could test this idea by wiring a second 9 volt battery in
> parallel with the usual. This would take a fair amount of haywire, so
> as a first step I am running this past Naturens and as a second action
> will run it past a friend who has extensive electronics background.

Hi everyone:

I am no expert in electronics, although I do know enough to keep from
getting electrocuted. I think (and could be wrong) that if there is
enough voltage to run the chip, there is enough to run all of it. It
would also be interesting to see if there is a separate battery for the
display as, depending on the type of display, it may actually consume
more power than the electronics. Then again it may have a separate
battery. I guess the only way to really see how it works is to open it
up, since there does not appear to be a www.howdigitalscaleswork.com!

Pat

PS: I saw a great T-shirt once that read: There are 10 kinds of people
in this world. Those that can read binary and those that  can't.

==
Patrick Kelly
Director of Computer Facilities
==
Faculty of Architecture and Planning
Dalhousie University
==
PO Box 1000 Stn Central                5410 Spring Garden Road
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4           Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2X4
Canada                                 Canada
==
Phone:(902) 494-3294    FAX:(902) 423-6672   E-mail:patrick.kelly@dal.ca
==

--Apple-Mail-62-199963936

<excerpt>

   If output voltage decreases, due to battery fatigue, while these
necessary 8 questions are satisfied then even if there initially was
enough output voltage to set bit 1 with some left over, in addition to
all the other set bits,  the voltage may have dropped too low to set
bit 1 by the time question 8 is asked.

   One could test this idea by wiring a second 9 volt battery in
parallel with the usual. This would take a fair amount of haywire, so
as a first step I am running this past Naturens and as a second action
will run it past a friend who has extensive electronics background.

</excerpt>

[...]

</fontfamily>

--Apple-Mail-62-199963936--