[NatureNS] Cape Sable Island Field Trip

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 00:54:55 +0000

It was a cold and windy day, but we did not do that bad in regards to
species observed.  First a question for the Cape Island Birders...are the
snow geese in Newellton tame?  I assume they are.  I know the ones at
Daniels Head are.  The ones in Newellton fly well but this does not prove
that they are not tame.  Thanks for an answer in advance to this question.
As always I appreciate your knowledge about the area and the birds.  Special
thanks to Murray, Johnny and to Clyde for letting me know what was about.
As a temporary field trip leader this time around this made my job much
easier.

Of note:

Double-crested Cormorant on a rock in Newellton.
Swamp Sparrow - Kenny Road
Northern Harrier - Daniel's Head
Sharp-shinned Hawk - Kenny Road
American Kestrel - Bacarro
Lapland Longspurs - Daniels Head
Lots of  Northern Flickers - Kenny Road
Savannah Sparrows - 7 at Daniels Head
Great Blue Herons - four in the area covered.
Belted Kingfisher - Near Port Clyde
Sanderlings at Daniels Head
Black-bellied Plovers off the Hawk

Roughly 40 species seen in all.

Off to school, going on a trip, or moving? Windows Live (MSN) Messenger lets
you stay in touch with friends and family wherever you go. Click here to
find out how to sign up!  http://www.telusmobility.com/msnxbox/