[NatureNS] fox crossing

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 04:53:53 -0800 (PST)
From: Paul MacDonald <paulrita2001@yahoo.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Heather and All
Thanks for reminding me of the fox the other evening.
It was on a back road in Lunenburg county somewhere.
Forget where but crossed the road ahead of me just at
dusk. A silver fox with great silver tips to its hair
- a real beauty. Not often you see that color phase.
My grandfather was a fox rancher - got his start by
digging out fox dens and taking the black pups home to
raise by hand. A delicate job.
About the mystery duck - I saw some advertised on the
www for $(US)83 plus shipping. Not much wonder the
owner puts lots of bands. Hard to believe they are
realised on purpose! If they are not pinioned properly
they will fly. A friend brought me some fancy duck he
got somewhere - I forget the variety - said the wings
were properly clipped - put it in a pen and it jumped
in the air and the last we saw of it was going out
over the bay. He clipped both wings - not just one.
Have a nice fall
Paul

--- Heather Drope <heather.drope@ns.sympatico.ca>
wrote:

> While looking at Bernards duck photo I clicked onto
> the next photo which
> was the Fox Crossing sign and the fox crossing the
> road. It reminded me
> of the time I was on the dirt road travelling to
> Meat Cove,CB and stopped
> the car because there were not one but two fox
> sleeping in the middle of
> the road. The only thing that made them get up and
> move was the
> oncoming motor cycle group coming over the hill and
> down in their
> direction. Even then they were very leisurely in the
> manner that they
> vacated the road.
> Getting back to the duck, I expect it should be
> quite easy now to find the
> owner with those leg id bands. Good thing the duck
> didn't have a third leg
> as I expect it may have worn a third band.
> Heather D.

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
Access over 1 million songs.
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited