[NatureNS] Kingston, NS Xmas Bird Count - December 23

From: "Wayne P. Neily" <neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: barpat@ns.sympatico.ca
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 01:49:12 -0400

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp; Pat Giffin has asked me to take on the compiling of the Kingston, NS XBC this year, and after consultation with the regular participants,&nbsp;I have chosen Saturday 23 December as our count date.&nbsp; We all thank Pat and Barb for their efforts in keeping this count giong for the past 20 years, and involving over 90 observers&nbsp;some years (most at feeding stations).</P>
<P>&nbsp; Here, as&nbsp;elsewhere, the limitation on the thoroughness of coverage is the number of field parties&nbsp;available, and that, in turn, is limited by the number of skilled birders, since each party needs at least one such person.&nbsp; To try to improve our coverage, <STRONG>we invite birders from other count areas to join us on the 23rd</STRONG>, and perhaps some of us will be able to return the favour.&nbsp; </P>
<P>&nbsp; To this end, we have avoided 16 December, since our neighbouring count to the east (Wolfville)&nbsp;has already claimed that date, and we recognize their seniority.&nbsp; (Wolfville was started in 1915 by Robie Tufts, while the Kingston one was not established until 1968).&nbsp; I have not heard from Bridgetown (next to the west), but ours has seniority to theirs in any case.&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp; Please contact me by Nov. 28, if possible, if you are interested in participating in the Kingston XBC, as we are planning a meeting that week to plan coverage and strategy for the count.<BR></P>
<P>Merry Christmas Counting,</P>
<DIV>Wayne Neily <BR>Tremont, Nova Scotia <BR></DIV>