[NatureNS] Re: NSBS - Canso Causeway and Meeting in Port Hawksbury

Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 19:14:54 -0500 (EST)
From: Suzanne Borkowski <suzanneborkowski@yahoo.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Here's some more info on the upcoming events in Cape
Breton:

Sat 18 Nov 2006 – Cape Breton Chapter Meeting and
Field Trip in Port Hawkesbury
Meeting: 3:00pm at the Port Hawkesbury Community
Centre, next to the Co-op Grocery store at the Port
Hawkesbury Shopping Centre. Ken McKenna of New Glasgow
will give an illustrated talk about his travels
abroad, entitled: "Birding Down-under: Northeast
Australia's Unique Birds".
Field Trip - Canso Causeway
Meet at 9:00am at the Tourist Information Building in
Port Hastings for a field trip of the Strait Area. At
the Canso Causeway there are frequently concentrations
of gulls, eagles and gannets that are feeding on
migrating skipjacks [aka billfish] in mid-November. In
addition we will check out the waterfront for loons,
grebes, alcids, and waterfowl; feeders for lingering
migrants and a few fields and creek valleys for
sparrows and warblers. There will be a lunch at the
Johnstons' following the field trip. Leaders David and
Mary Johnston  625-1534; dwj.jem@ns.sympatico.ca   and
Ken McKenna.