[NatureNS] redpoll? at Avonport, 35 Can. geese at Greenwich, rose-hips galore, dead barred owl

Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 15:58:17 -0800 (PST)
From: Paul MacDonald <paulrita2001@yahoo.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Marian
I assume you are speaking of the Virginia Rose - Rosa
virginiana not some other type.
Ocassionally while preparing Ruffed Grouse for the
table, I have found rose hips in their crops. As I
don't prepare that many, it would be a small sample to
base any definite statements on.
The Natives had an interesting name for them - in its
translated form wouldn't pass the scanner! It would be
well for anyone wishing to try them to find out about
the name and be prepared in advance.
Have a nice itch free fall!
Paul

--- Marian Fulton & Art Harding