[NatureNS] redpoll? at Avonport, 35 Can. geese at Greenwich, rose-hips galore, dead barred owl

From: "Marian Fulton & Art Harding" <fulton.harding@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 18:51:59 -0400

I have pondered this question about rose hips myself.  I assume that
birds do not require a lot of vitamin c and the fleshy rose hips are
therefore not a great food source for them.  I have noted that birds go
for the small seedy almost fleshless hips of the multiflora roses and
will only eat the fleshier ones from other roses when all other food
sources are depleted.  I assume the seeds are a  much better source of
protein and maybe even fats.

I would appreciate hearing comments from anyone knowledgeable about the
dietary requirements of birds or the nutritional content of various
rosehips.

Marian Fulton