[NatureNS]

Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 02:49:16 -0400
From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Dave, Jean, etherealists all...
  On the phenomenology, I knew nothing about this so took up Jean's suggestion
and googled <aurora, sound> and a couple of other combinations. Most of the 3
million sites found sell commercial audio/video, but there are a few to the
point. From spending a 1/2 hour on this last night, the first thing apparent
about why auroral sounds haven't been explained satisfactorily is that this is
not a robust phenomenon at all.  The accounts of the actual sound
structure are
variable, some hear the sounds when sometimes others in the same group don't,
some individuals who hear them sometimes don't hear them most other times, and
(perhaps related) this seems to depend on the local structure of the
environment, etc. Some outside observers doubt it is a real phenomenon at all,
and all seem to agree that the effects are not loud.  Perhaps it's not as far
out as studying SETI, but it's difficult to approach something like this
scientifically when it's so confusingly variable from every angle.
Might not be
a wise mid-career move to get into this if you are in acoustics, which is
probably why there is little real acoustic info on it.  If you want more
description on this (Jean), maybe try
www.auroraborealisyukon.com/faq/
members.tripod.com/~aurorasounds/#em
www.acoustics.hut.fi/projects/auroraASoundNews
The last one and a download describes some impromptu Finish recordings
that were
technically compromised by wind and by a power supply problem, but from which
allegedly can be extracted excess sound in a band around 100 Hz, which
is a bit
low for hissing and rustling. The Danish stuff you remember is mentioned, but
not in much detail at
www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/q1852.html
(to amplify the sounds, the individual stuck a microphone at the focus of a
radiotelescope dish when they had it turned off and weren't using it.)
One of these sites, I forget which, has about six explanations for a possible
mechanism of sound production or for hearing it, but as they admit, none
completely hangs together.  The closest to me seemed to involve brush
discharges from sharp things like pine needles or metal eyeglasses very
near to
the listener, just possible during the vastly stronger electromagnetic fields
found in the air at ground level during auroras. This discharge might give a
faint rustling or crackling sound, but then apparently would be expected to be
accompanied by visual manifestations (St. Elmo's fire) but isn't.
Overall, my impression is that there is something out there sometimes
(and it's
not tinnitus or auditory hallucinations), but that the phenomenon is
capricious
and objective acoustic measurements on it are few and unsatisfactory so
far. As
there are neither hard facts nor convincing explanations so far, it's
tailor-made for web-type speculation.  I didn't try googling <aurora, sound,
Roswell> but I'd bet there'd be a few hits.

Quoting David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>:
> Hi Steve & All,                Nov 11, 2006
>    I agree that that the ear is above all an organ of hearing and,
> fortunately, it is not well designed to pick up either the local
> radio station or short wave broadcasts. Radio reception requires a
> tuned circuit that selectively and efficiently absorbs energy only
> from a narrow range of RF frequency while excluding energy from other
> ranges.
>    The more elemental RF detector, the filings coherer (iron filings
> in a non-coductive tube), served as receivers for spark transmitters
> by using the faint RF signal to increase Direct Current conductivity
> of the coherer and the latter in turn controlled current in a battery
> powered bell circuit. It is this kind of crude RF detector that just
> might (and no we don't have iron filings in our ears) by sheer
> coincidence be located in some ear component. And to get from RF to
> audible this crude detector might, e.g. switch on when RF exceeded a
> certain frequency or amplitude and switch off when levels dropped
> below threshold. If these fluctuations were within audible range then
> one would have an audible signal.
[I don't believe it either, but actually, as came out in the search for
magnetic
receptors in pigeons or bees, looking for iron or something similar, in
principle you'd only need a few tiny domains in a few nerve cells to do
it.  It
is difficult to rule out such small amounts of because of the contamination
problem present even in a 'clean' room].
>    I really didn't intend to suggest that an RF mechanism was a
> defensible idea; apart from being one that comes to mind by
> connecting known dots. Briefly these dots are:
> 1) Something associated with the northern lights, generates some
> effect which we perceive as a rustling sound.
[well, it's not an acceptably reliable phenomenon -- see comment above]
> 2) This 'sound' is loudest, as I recall, when curtain flickering is
> most rapid but, in any case, is associated with concurrent changes in
> the curtains.
[One site agreed with this account sometimes, but said other accounts disputed
the supposed synchrony)
> 3) The northern lights even when they appear to be near and low are
> relatively high and, for most observers, far away.
[apparently it is known that the bottom edge is actually ~100 km up or more]
> 4) This effect thus travels at about the speed of light; ending in
> our ears as 'sound' it must start and travel as some electromagnetic
> wave or some other relatively instantaneous electrical effect.
[yes, this agrees with the brush discharge idea]
> 5) This effect must be in some way converted within our ears by some
> kind of transducer; either to motion of the sound sensitive hairs or
> to some stage in sound perception that follows hair motion.
[not likely and not necessarily - instead could be a nearby actual external
sound, induced somehow by a strong electric field or field change, propagated
from the aurora -- brush discharge]
> 6) The transducer would not have to be exceptionally efficient
> because the northern lights involve impressive amounts of energy; one
> million to 10 million amps and about one trillion Watts.
[yes but haven't you forgotten the inverse square law acting over 100
km? No-one
would suggest that this wattage is delivered to a point near the observer. You
are also about to slide into the ELF field debate (extremely low frequency
fields set up in the neighborhood of power lines, electric blankets).
This is a
contentious area to do particularly with currents induced in bodies situated
under high voltage power transmission lines or heads next to cell phones, that
might produce significant effects on body systems (or not). I'm not sure
without going back, but think that the field strength would be smaller at the
ground during an aurora. The conclusion in the transmission line case seems to
be that the currents induced are relatively small and superficial on the body,
but that more study in needed to certainly rule out that there is no
significant effect at all in any body system. For a rather heavy technical
review of some years ago, in a different league from the fluffy stuff above,
try
www.inchem.org/document/ehc/ehc