[NatureNS] Sounds of the Aurora

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 14:37:05 -0400

	This is one of my "pet" subjects, so I will jump in here with what I
have discovered over the years, since I was about 8 or 9 when my dad and
I heard the Northern Lights one still night just before Christmas (we had
been out shopping for mum) in Orono, Maine in the mid fifties. The displays
of northern lights were spectacular night after night after night, and this one
particular evening as we stood outside our rented house in the middle of a
huge hay field where it was quiet, we listened for many minutes to the
rustling and crackling which seemed to be coming from the sky, from the
lights, which goes against all good physics, but it surely did not seem to be
coming from the ground level. And four ears had not suddenly gone bad!! I
know lots of people who have heard them and at various times of the year
including summer, so it is not a static effect.
	Finally a few years ago I read that Danish astronomers had been
able to record the sound using radio telescopes. Surely there must be some
way of finding out what really is known about the sound effect, and not just
anthropological mythology. Wikipedia?  The University of Alaska also has
and does a lot of the top notch research into the aurora phenomena, as it is
very damaging and expensive to communications equipment. Can
someone who is better on a computer than I am do a little digging and see
what is really going on? I think the physics of the sounds of aurora is now
fairly well known. The Danish astronomers were at the University of
Copenhagen, I believe. JET