[NatureNS] More on Ivory-billed woodpecker

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 13:52:59 +0000

I do not know if this has been circulated yet, but I was sent this by a good
friend in the US.

9/26/06 Tim Meeks, (334) 844-2445 or (678) 200-4960 (meeksta@auburn.edu)
Carol Nelson, (334) 844-8121 or (334) 309-6050 (nelsoc4@auburn.edu)

AUBURN SCIENTISTS PUBLISH EVIDENCE OF IVORY-BILLED WOODPECKERS IN FLORIDA

AUBURN - A research team led by Auburn University professor Geoff Hill,
Ph.D., has compiled evidence that a population of Ivory-billed Woodpeckers
exists in a remote river basin in the panhandle of Florida, as reported
today in Avian Conservation & Ecology, an electronic scientific journal
(http://www.ace-eco.org).

Hill, an author, professor and ornithologist in AU’s College of Science and
Mathematics, led a kayaking expedition in May, 2005 with two research
assistants, Tyler Hicks and Brian Rolek, along a section of the
Choctawhatchee River in the Florida panhandle.

Soon after they started their float down the Choctawhatchee, Rolek observed
an ivorybill in flight and Hill heard a double knock, the signature sound of
the ivorybill. Numerous large cavities in trees and places where thick,
tightly adhering bark had been scaled from dead trees added impetus to the
sighting.

“It was just to be a weekend outing looking for potential habitat,” said
Hill, who at the time was writing a book about bird coloration. “We really
never dreamed we’d actually find an ivorybill.”

Hill and his assistants made subsequent visits to the area, located near the
town of Bruce, Fla., in an effort to better document the birds. On the
weekend after their initial discovery, Hicks, an expert in bird
identification, got a clear view of a female Ivory-billed Woodpecker, which
has distinct plumage, including a white trailing edge on the upper wing,
white stripes down the back and an all black crest.

Hill then organized a follow-up search of the area and invited Dan Mennill,
Ph.D., an assistant professor at the University of Windsor in Ontario, to
join the search team. Mennill, who is an expert at recording and analyzing
animal sounds, devised a means to remotely record sounds in the swamp and
erected seven listening stations in the area of the ivorybill sightings.
“The regular, ongoing reports from Dr. Hill and his research team for the
past 16 months have provided me an extraordinarily captivating and rewarding
experience,” said Stewart Schneller, dean of the AU College of Science and
Mathematics. “In turn, the excitement that exists with the anticipation of
their future investigations is beyond description.”

While the Auburn and Windsor scientists are confident in their discovery
that Ivory-billed Woodpeckers persist in the swamp forests along the
Choctawhatchee, they realize that the evidence amassed to date is not
conclusive proof.

Hill emphasized that “the only evidence that would constitute irrefutable
proof is a clear photograph or video of an Ivory-billed Woodpecker, and such
an image has to date eluded us.”