[NatureNS] SEAL PUPS

From: "Greg Dobbin" <dobbin@upei.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 15:05:17 -0400
CC: Smcburney@acad1.cs.upei.ca

Gloria,
If this pup is a fresh specimen we would certainly like to have it
submitted to the Atlantic Veterinary College for necropsy (animal
equivalent of autopsy). There appears to bean outbreak of seal
morbillivirus (Distemper) occurring on the eastern seaboard this
fall. We already have reports of seals washing up in the Kegi
adjucnt and were able to obtain one fresh specimen already and
our findings so far suggest confirmation of the disease in that area.
We (as well as many others) are very interested in monitoring this
outbreak and would encourage you (and anyone else who finds
dead seals) anywhere in Atlantic Canada to contact your local DNR
or DFO officer and tell them that someone at the Vet College
advised you to have the animal submitted (so that they know cost
will not be an issue and that indeed we want to receive the
carcass!). Particularly if there is multiple carcasses washing up.
Thanks for sharing!
Greg