[NatureNS] Cooper's Hawk, Orange-crowned Warbler, Northern Goshawk, Wilson's Snipe, other

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 02:18:05 +0000

David Walmark, Dorothy Poole, Pat Gladman and I went out and about today for
some birding.  At Mahone Bay there was a Cooper's Hawk over ABCO plastics,
which was being harassed by American crows.

Also, at Mahone Bay were two female black scoters and a grouping of 20 surf
scoters, which were all females with many young birds present.

A Blackpoll Warbler was found along the Fauxburg Trail.

Another Blackpoll Warbler was at the end of Second Peninsula feeding on the
ground and in coniferous trees along a property.  At the Rhodenizer farm at
the end of the peninsula there was a male northern goshawk and a Wilson's
Snipe.  A large movement of song sparrows were present  with 31 in a group.

I had a small tick crawling on my hand which was picked up at the Second
Peninsula cemetary.  I believe that this was a deer tick.  I should have
saved it, but disposed of it.

I meant to post but forgot that a few weeks ago a black-headed gull showed
up at Back Harbour Lunenburg.  This bird was also present there today.

Along the Lunenburg Back Harbour Trail, David and I located an
orange-crowned warbler.  Lots of Yellow-rumped warblers were found here and
there, especially along this trail.

Huge numbers of American Robins have been moving through the area all week
as have been golden-crowned kinglets.  Hooded mergansers are showing up at a
number of locations.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

Buy, Load, Play. The new Sympatico / MSN Music Store works seamlessly with
Windows Media Player. Just Click PLAY.
http://musicstore.sympatico.msn.ca/content/viewer.aspx?cid=SMS_Sept192006