[NatureNS] little brown bats

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 19:28:02 -0300

Two little brown bats have spent the evening flitting about and foraging
over my lawn, several times coming within a few centimetres of the picture
window in my living room. This is a real surprise as they are almost the
only bats we have seen here this summer - the bat box overlooking the stream
has been empty and ignored all year for the first time since I put it up.
These two were highly active and I watched them catching insects for about
25 minutes, until it got too dark to see. For all I know they could still be
out there.

Some of the on-line material about Little Brown Bats tells me that they
usually don't eat from September to may - well someone should tell these
two! They were doing very well. Maybe we are having an "Indian Summer" and
they decided to take advantage of it. Certainly there have been a lot of
insects about for the last couple of days. Anyway it is good to see them
again - even my neighbours had been asking where the bats had gone this
year.

John Belbin - Kingston