[NatureNS] fly and bee co-evolution

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 11:52:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: Paul MacDonald <paulrita2001@yahoo.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Steve
My old fingers are better at gripping a canoe paddle
than a key board! So I'll not make a long answer

--- Steve Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca> wrote:

> >   I don't know where this idea comes from, but if
> it were true, it
> > wouldn't be possible to isolate different strains
> of cattle, dogs,
> > pigeons, geese, etc by selective breeding -- the
> opposite would be
> > true.
Different strains are selected by selecting parents
with like characteristics - no such selection takes
place in wild things. Even selected strains have a lot
of variation within the strain. One example for which
I have much first hand knowledge is the size of eye of
lean in a hog carcass. With pure strains it varies a
great deal - with crossbred hogs much less.
The interesting thing is people were making the same
arguments 50 years ago - now isolated strains are a
thing of the past in animal science. except to produce
the crossbreds.
Have a nice fall
Paul