[NatureNS] Hartlen Point last weekend

From: uhoeger@dal.ca
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 15:14:44 -0300

Hi,

Just to add to Ian's recent Hartlen Point sightings.  I was out along
the harbour side beach on Sunday (Oct. 15) afternoon just before high
tide for an hour to check the washed up seaweed for foraging
shorebirds.  Numbers where down from the week before, but this may
also have been linked to the  higher tide level this time (was close
to low tide last weekend), and the massive sea weed built up on the
beach.
I have seen two Killdeers, few (single digit numbers) Greater and
Lesser Yellowlegs, no peeps or small plovers seen feeding (just
flying by towards the headland), a good dozen Black-bellied Plovers
and, most noteworthy,  3 or 4 Golden Plovers.  Plenty of Savanna and
Song sparrows were feeding in the washed up weed.

Cheers

Ulli