[NatureNS] Cape Sable Island Bird Outing

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 23:30:07 +0000

Eight of us met at the alloted location at Barrington at 08:00.  The
weatherman changed the forecast at the last minute and we knew that we were
in for some rainy weather during the day.  We set out at around 08:15 and as
the day progressed we went from no rain to intermitant rain and than to
heavy rain.  We only ended up with about 45 species, with some not seen by
all, but a lot of the species suggested that with a lift in the weather
other good ones should be present.  We went to the Hawk, to Clarks Harbour,
Daniels Head, Kenny Road, to Baccarro, the Blanche Peninsula and then
through Port Clyde.

Many shorebirds were still present at the Hawk and from the nature reserve
location at the end we observed short-billed dowitchers, red knots, a
ruddyturnstone, a few Hudsonian godwits, lesser and greater yellowlegs,
sanderlings, dunlin, and various other peeps.  The best bird found by Fulton
at this location was a western sandpiper.  An indigo bunting also made an
appearance for some of the group.

We than proceded to Clarks Harbour for the American Coot found by Murray
Newell earlier in the week.  We did locate it and also a Wilson's Snipe.  At
Kenny Road hundreds of yellow-rumped warblers were there, but as hard as we
tried we could not find any other warbler amongst them.  A gray catbird
vocalized repeatedly and made an appearance and numbers of swamp sparrows
were about.  At Bacarro a Pine Grosbeak gave all a great look and a
co-operative peregrine falcon flew by.

On the way through Port Clyde a group of migrants was located, which had
five chipping sparrows with it.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore.